As a successful entrepreneur, the majority of my work comes from client referrals as well as friends and colleagues. I also do a lot of networking.
Most savvy networkers are successful because they use tried and true techniques. They avoid common pitfalls and use the following best practices.
- Don’t monopolize the conversation. Ask questions and get to know the person.
- Mingle, you won’t meet people if you spend all your time talking to people you know.
- Don’t shove your cards at people and lose the sales pitch. No one wants to be sold to and it’s rude to just shove your card people. Take the time to learn more about what their needs are and how you can help them.
- Don’t act desperate. People want to work with and network with people who are successful. Desperation is a huge turn off.
- Follow up. When you meet someone reach out afterwards to say hi, thank them or maybe grab a cup of coffee and talk more.